Build College-Ready Community Schools for All: Quality Schools, Strong Neighborhoods, Bright Futures! In neighborhoods across NYC, parents share the hope that their children will graduate high school and go to college. But the realization of that dream varies dramatically. While 80% of children living in Tribeca graduate with the knowledge and skills they need for college, only 8% of students in Mott Haven do. These disparities are unacceptable. To prepare many more students for college and career success, the next Mayor needs a pre-k to 12th grade plan that combines academic rigor and high expectations with comprehensive supports and the creative, motivating experiences that excite students about their future. All students deserve the kind of high quality education that the best schools offer – without having to leave their neighborhood. We advocate:
- Focus on teaching and learning
- Build a college-going culture in all schools
- Provide strong, comprehensive support for every child
- Put the parents back in public education
- A+ NYC brings New Yorkers together to envision an excellent and equitable public school system under the city’s next administration. A+ focuses on the centrality of teaching and learning over questions of structure and governance, elevate evidence-based reforms that will allow all students in our city to graduate college and career ready, and ensure that parents, students and other community stakeholders provide central leadership to the task of improving our schools. For more information go to aplusnyc.org.
- New Yorkers for Great Public Schools (NY-GPS) refuses to let our schools be bought and sold. NY-GPS will not let the failed Bloomberg education policies have a fourth term. The Mayoral election in 2013 will be a referendum on the failures of the Bloomberg education experiment. For more information, go to www.nygps.org.
- The Alliance for Quality Education (AQE) is a coalition mobilizing communities across the state to keep New York true to its promise of ensuring a high quality public education to all students regardless of zip code. Combining its legislative and policy expertise with grassroots organizing, AQE advances proven-to-work strategies that lead to student success and ultimately create a powerful public demand for a high quality education. For more information, go to www.aqeny.org.
- Journey for Justice (J4J) is a grassroots alliance of education justice advocates from across the country calling for an end to school closures. You can follow J4J on Twitter @J4J_USA #J4J2, or go to the J4J facebook page.